Friday, October 24, 2008

Playing around

I just realized that even as my attention is focused on my living room, I haven't even finished the other bedrooms. My headboard is still propped on the wall, and I still haven't fixed that last leg of the day bed. Sigh.

Anyway, back to the living room. I thought I'd show you, roughly and without embarrassing myself, what it looks like.So, on the right, you have the hallway, which I think is narrower. At the top is the hall leading to the bathroom and bedrooms. No it doesn't really slant like that - at least not when I'm sober (kidding!). The rest of the dimensions are pretty accurate. The room's about 15 ft x 19ft (the space below the main entry way is the kitchen, by the by.

What I'm not showing are the new dining table propped against the hallway wall and a new bookcase, still in its box, also propped.

I don't like my dining table. I love the wood, but don't like the shape or style. Oh and it has a massive leaf, also propped because you can't hide it.
Onto the living area. I have a massive desk. It's about 60 inches wide. It's always cluttered. It's walnut colored and it's right next to my cherry colored entertainment center. That is also massive. It's for a 36-inch TV at least. Mine's a 21- or 19-incher. Next to that is my new, beloved glass-door CD cabinet.
Oh, and those two oval things below the dining table are my cats' beds, which of course they NEVER use because they like the chairs and couch too much. Bad cats.

Anyway, this is one of the first options I really liked while playing around with the Arrange-A-Room.Ideally, I'd get a smaller desk + maybe a filing cabinet and put that all on the opposite wall. This would require a wi-fi device because the only cable outlet is on the TV wall. I'd chuck my huge, ugly rug and get something a lot smaller. The cat beds would go and be replaced by a cat tower with several compartments. I'd move my CD cabinet to the other side of the TV stand (I'd get smaller, less claustrophobic stand) and I'd put a bench under the window on the left. And I'd get a small DVD cabinet.

My only concern, other than the Wi-Fi, is that the cats might want to scratch the back of the couch. They don't usually scratch the sides or anything, but an exposed back would be something new and fun for them!!

Anyway, what do you think? Do you have any other suggestions?

No comments: