Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Most seriously displeased

So, it's been getting really cold. And my thermostat stopped working. At first, it only said "REPL BAT." Which I did. And it worked again. And then stopped again.
Today, I finally caved and went to the Home Depot store to get a new one. I came home, and the first thing I did was to unscrew the wires from my old thermostat. Before labeling the wires. Just like the instructions of the new thermostat said. *bangs head*
I can get a Master's degree, but reading the instructions through is just TOO MUCH for me to handle.
Anyway, I went over to a neighbors' and looked at her thermostat. But she only has heating. I have heating AND AC.
I decided to experiment anyway.
I unscrewed 3 of the 4 little compartments in the new thermostat. The fourth one just wouldn't loosen up, and in the process of trying several screwdrivers and heads, I mangled the the screw.
I drove back to HD and they kindly gave me a new one.
Got back, got the new thermostat in - without electrocuting myself - and felt relieved and warmed, if not entirely proud of myself.

And then I set out to finally paint the living room. I just did one wall - the "dining area" wall. I got two colors. One for most of the living room, and one for this wall.
I was rather happy with the color in the paint bucket.
And then I applied the paint, and it was very dark. In fact, it looked like Christmas green to me. Not at all what i wanted. So yeah, as Lady Catherine would say, I am most seriously displeased.
I can only hope that the lighter green/sage will offset the Christmas vibe I'm getting. Otherwise, I'll just have to paint over it.
And get more tools, because, dayum, the trim looks sloppy. Sigh.
Before:
(Pardon the mess and last year's remaining Xmas decoration... I guess that's foreshadowing).
After:
The paint's still wet and is much darker than in the pic. I'll wait and see how it looks in the morning with natural light.
Sigh, again.

2 comments:

Sarah Catlin-Dupuy said...

Seems like I remember reading paint lightens as it dries. I hope this is so!

Sleepingbanshee said...

I think it got darker - well the sage did for sure.